Help displaying to 1680x1050 monitor on laptop external VGA port

Felix Miata mrmazda at earthlink.net
Mon May 31 18:38:46 PDT 2010

On 2010/05/31 17:55 (GMT-0700) Brandon Kuczenski composed:

> I'm working on getting a Samsung Syncmaster T220 LCD to display its native
> resolution of 1680x1050 px on the external VGA port of an x200 laptop.
> The hardware is an Intel GM45 express chipset with integrated graphics.

> The display works fine on a desktop machine running debian and
> xserver-xorg 7.1.0-19 using the VESA standard mode setting:

> "1680x1050"  147.14  1680 1784 1968 2256  1050 1051 1054 1087

> The mode is specified in xorg.conf and everything is happy.

> after 7 years I finally started to understand xorg.conf
> well enough to monkey with it] X does not offer the 1680x1050 mode, so I
> have to add it with xrandr....

I'm way behind the curve on what's been lost and gained in X configurability
since the massive X overhaul begun roughly 2 years ago. Last I checked on
relatively recent Intel (but not as recent as G45), xorg.conf can still be
used to provide desired configuration that is difficult or impossible absent
an xorg.conf. One such option goes in 'Section "Device"': 'Option "NrRandr"'.
When used, X tends to obey what else is put in xorg.conf regarding display
capabilities. Others that may be necessary to reach a desired end are 'Option
"NoDDC"', DisplaySize, and/or various permutations of EDID/false/ignore
intended to disable EDID.

 Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/