Cann't get dual monitors working, S3Virge bios input/output error

tj 999alfred at comcast.net
Fri Oct 1 20:50:08 PDT 2010

I am trying to get a dual monitor system working using the onboard S3
ProSavage adapter and a PCI S3 Virge card.

However, after I do Xorg -configure to get a xorg.conf and then execute
it, Xorg -config /root/xorg.conf.new I get a blank screen with only a
"-" in the upper left hand corner of screen 0. Then I cannot use
cntrl-slt-1, ec to get to another screen. I have to ssh in to get it
back. Now, I do have this error
(EE) S3VIRGE(1): Cannot read V_BIOS (3) Input/output error
(--) S3VIRGE(1): Chipset: "virge"
(==) S3VIRGE(1): XVideo not supported.

Commentng out screen 1, the virge, causes X to come up normally.

tj