gdm main process terminated with status 1

Stanimir Sotirov stunibuni at gmail.com
Wed Oct 27 02:21:36 PDT 2010

Hi there,
My current situation is the following:
I was running an Ubuntu 9.10 on a VMware Workstation 6.0.5 as a Guest.
After upgrading to Ubuntu 10.04 release, I have problems starting my
display - I am sitting on a command line only with the following
messages:

init: gdm main process (575) terminated with status 1
init: plymouth-stop pre-start process (1115) terminated with status 1
Ubuntu 10.04.1 LTS stunibuni tty1
stunibuni login init: failsafe-x main process (925) terminated with status 1
Ubuntu 10.04.1 LTS stunibuni tty1
stunibuni login:

The VMware Workstation is installed on Windows 7 OS, 64-bit Sony Vaio
Notebook. Video card: Intel(R) Graphics Media Accelerator HD (Core
i3).

What I have done till now:

I have executed these commands posted at your site, in order to be
sure I am running the last version of Xorg:

export PREFIX=/opt/xorg
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$PREFIX/lib
export PKG_CONFIG_PATH=$PREFIX/lib/pkgconfig
export PATH=$PREFIX/bin:$PATH
export ACLOCAL="aclocal -I $PREFIX/share/aclocal"
git clone git://anongit.freedesktop.org/git/xorg/util/modular/ util/modular
echo "util/macros" > built.modules

./util/modular/build.sh --clone -p -f built.modules -r `tail -n 1
built.modules` $PREFIX

After reboot, it is the same - only the ssh process, which was
appearing as a terminated process like gdm and plymouth, didn't show
anymore in the command line prompts.

I have also tried to reconfigure the gdm and plymouth modules via:

sudo dpkg-reconfigure gdm
sudo dpkg-reconfigure plymouth

No success after reboot either.

I appreciate your help.