multiple fbdev devices (or: fbdev vs. nvidia)

Christoph Rissner c.r at visotech.at
Fri Oct 29 05:44:58 PDT 2010

Hi,

I have an nvidia card together with a displaylink (USB) device.

% lspci | grep VGA
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation NV37GL [Quadro
PCI-E Series] (rev a2)

With xorg 1.8 I can use the nvidia 173xx series driver together with the
displaylink driver and get a nice Xinerama desktop.

Unfortunately the displaylink driver doesn't work with xorg 1.9, so I
consider switching to fbdev instead, but fbdev doesn't work together
with the nvidia driver. Depending on the screen order in xorg.conf there
is either the displaylink screen or the nvidia screen working, but not both.

Is this related to fbdev, nvidia, or both?
If its a problem with the nvidia driver, is it possible to replace the
nvidia driver with another instance of fbdev? How would I do that? Just
replacing the driver in xorg.conf doesn't work, setting the BusID for
the nvidia device also makes no difference.

Even more, I currently have 2 screens connected to the nvidia card,
using the fbdev driver there would probably mean to configure a total of
3 fbdev devices (1 for the displaylink, 2 for the nvidia card), but how
do I distinguish the 2 driver sections for the nvidia card when I only
have 1 BusID to set?

I've attached my current xorg config where I try to make the fbdev
driver work together with the nvidia one.

Thanks,
Christoph