[BUG] xrandr/desktop autoconfiguration problem with Intel chip

Sun Apr 10 15:53:18 PDT 2011

The chip in question is this one:

00:02.1 Display controller: Intel Corporation Mobile 945GM/GMS/GME,
943/940GML Express Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 03)
        Subsystem: Hewlett-Packard Company Device 3056
        Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0
        Memory at e8200000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=512K]
        Capabilities: [d0] Power Management version 2

The default drm based xrandr gives this as the screen size:

Screen 0: minimum 320 x 200, current 1366 x 768, maximum 4096 x 4096
LVDS1 connected 1366x768+0+0 (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
224mm x 126mm
   1366x768       60.0*+
   1024x768       60.0
   800x600        60.3     56.2
   640x480        59.9
VGA1 disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)

However, when I plug in a standard 1024x768 projector, it gets set up
(using the standard gnome hotplug) to the right of my current display
(giving an x dimension of 2390) and the whole of the LVDS display gets a
dark grey shadow.  If I use xrandr to redo the tiling so LVDS1 is above
VGA1 (giving a max y dimension of 1536) everything is fine.  I think
this indicates that although my graphics chip seems to identify as GEN
3, it has trouble with display dimensions > 2048.

I didn't notice this with previous versions of opensuse because the
xrandr max for the display was 2048x2048 (and thus hotplug fails, but
that's a gnome bug).

James