[xorg] Where can I find the code examples from the X11 books?

Alan Coopersmith alan.coopersmith at oracle.com
Tue Apr 12 13:35:33 PDT 2011

On 04/12/11 12:58 PM, Lori Nagel wrote:

> I have most of the X11 books series. (there were books 0-8) that had a lot of
> documentation about the X11 interface. I wonder where I can get the code
> examples for the books.  In particular, book 4, the Athena Widget version.   I
> have been able to find the books online, but not the code examples, that I am
> really wanting

O'Reilly, the book publisher, still seems to have "Example Code" links on the
book pages that lead to tarballs, I didn't download & unpack them to confirm:

Volume 1 (Xlib): http://oreilly.com/catalog/9781565920026/
Volume 4 (Motif): http://oreilly.com/catalog/9781565920132/

http://oreilly.com/oreilly/cs/examples-faq.html has information about finding
examples based on the books ISBN numbers, so you should hopefully be able to
find the rest from the numbers on the book cover, the list on
http://www.x.org/wiki/ProgrammingDocumentation or from finding the books on
Amazon.

However, I must strongly urge you to use a modern toolkit instead for new code.
The Athena widgets will be sorely lacking in support for accessibility,
internationalization, integration to modern desktops, modern font and graphics
rendering, and many other things expected in modern X applications.

	-Alan Coopersmith-        alan.coopersmith at oracle.com