xterm+luit, vt100 line drawing problem

Alexey Dokuchaev danfe at nsu.ru
Sat Aug 6 04:36:14 PDT 2011

hello here,

i'm asking here since I failed to google the answer myself, and reading
luit source code would probably eat too much of my time prior getting
some knowledge about how this thing works :)

my desktop is utf-8, but i need to access couple of old systems which
use 8-bit locales (koi8-r, to be precise, but it does not matter).  it
seems that luit is the way to go, when i ssh to remote host like this:

	LC_ALL=ru_RU.KOI8-R luit ssh ..., or
	luit -encoding koi8-r ssh ...

i can see and input russian characters correctly.  however, midnight
commander and ncurses-based programs display infamous "lqqqq" strings
instead of lines/borders.  it seems that these lines are being drawn
with ESC(0/(B sequences, which xterm (even in utf-8 locale) understands
and renders correctly, but when passed through luit, those escape codes
are stripped, so only letters remain.

i've attached a simple test program (might need some minor tweaking
depending on your shell) to demonstrate the behavior, in utf-8 xterm, do:

$ sh line.sh
+-+-+
+-+-+					(but in a nicer way, of course)
+-+-+
$ luit -encoding koi8-r sh line.sh
lqwqk
tqnqu					WTF??
mqvqj

(same thing happens over ssh, of course).  is there a way to have both
utf-8, koi8-r (via luit), and vt100 lines in both xterm and luited
shell/ssh?

thanks.

./danfe