Xrandr fails to change resolution of external crt monitor

Keith Packard keithp at keithp.com
Wed Aug 10 09:46:04 PDT 2011

On Wed, 10 Aug 2011 08:12:23 -0700 (PDT), Witold Pilat <witold.pilat at gmail.com> wrote:

> However when I try any lower resolution other than 1280x800 it doesn't
> change actual resolution but crops working space instead and keeps
> 1280x1024. On the other hand when I try higher resolutions all I can
> get is 1280x1024 or 1280x800 and image cropped/going off the
> monitor. I've tried changing crtcs but it didn't help.

First, you might give the drm-intel-fixes branch a try; there are a
bunch of multi-monitor fixes there which could be relevant.

        git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/keithp/linux-2.6 drm-intel-fixes

Second, you'll want to capture kernel mode setting debugging by adding
'drm.debug=4' to the kernel command line.

Third, please file a bug report (http://bugs.freedesktop.org) and
include the X log file and the kernel log. A photo of the monitor with
an incorrect image will also help.

keith.packard at intel.com