Emc vs modern lcd monitors

gene heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Mon Aug 15 15:16:00 PDT 2011

On Monday, August 15, 2011 06:07:09 PM Alex Deucher did opine:

> 2011/8/15 gene heskett <gheskett at wdtv.com>:

> >> Looks to me like the server is telling you it doesn't know how to
> >> generate a resolution of 1360x768.  If this was a CRT, I'd say to
> >> provide a custom modeline in the xorg.conf file.  Since you've got a
> >> LCD, I don't know if this is the correct solution or not.
> >
> > None of my machines have an xorg.conf with a sample modeline for that.
> >
> > Could someone post an example I could try please?
> >
> > Or even better, are there docs someplace that would describe how to do
> > that?  I just looked at the modeline description in a man xorg.conf,
> > and that lacks the specifics I'd need to make a quasi-intelligent
> > first guess.
>
> The problem with vesa is that you are limited to standard vesa modes
> that are implemented in the vbios.  You cannot define arbitrary modes.
>  For that you need to use a real driver specific to your video chip.
>
> Alex

I was afraid of that Alex.  And I tried some Modelines suggested on the EMC
mailing list & got thrown under the bus just as it was leaving.  This
application that must run, is a realtime application with a base loop of
its i/o running every 20-40 u-secs.  _NO_ "real" driver allows that,
wrecking carving of parts in wholesale numbers because the IRQ's that drive
this apps base thread can be locked out by the "real" driver for intervals
in excess of 100 milliseconds.  The 'vesa' driver is the only driver that
allows the base thread to keep some semblance of a steady beat.

This particular card is an ATI X1650.  Does it perchance have an available
vesa bios update that would add some of the 16x9 modes like this?

Cheers, gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
Guns don't kill people.  It's those damn bullets.  Guns just make them go
really really fast.
        -- Jake Johanson