How to get two monitors working in Linux?

Alan Cox alan at lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk
Wed Dec 28 09:08:18 PST 2011

> I'm not familiar with LXDE, but desktop environments have recently been
> losing proper support for multiple X screens.  For example, KDE 3 worked
> great with multiple X screens but KDE 4 shows the
> black-screen-and-giant-X-cursor problem you're describing with LXDE.  I
> would suggest contacting LXDE's support community to ask for proper
> multiple X screen support.

LXDE I believe needs you to start it on each screen you want to use.
Which is a good deal more sociable than some of the 'grab all the
desktop' approaches some desktops of old used and Gnome still tries sort
of does (badly), particularly as modern usage is often to dedicate a
display to things like video playback (ie the HDMI port to the television
or a projector and the like)

> I believe Firefox still has a similar problem, though I haven't tried it
> recently.

Firefox is still terminally confused about such things short of giving
each desktop its own profile.

Alan