[no EDID] intel stuck in 1024x768

Adam Jackson ajax at nwnk.net
Thu Feb 10 09:41:23 PST 2011

On Feb 9, 2011, at 8:59 PM, Felix Miata wrote:

> Can someone look at http://fm.no-ip.com/Tmp/Linux/Xorg/xorg.0.log-gx260-i845G-os114rc1-1024x768x096 and tell me what in there actually tells me which video driver got used (via auto-configure/no mention of Intel/VESA/FBDEV in xorg.conf)? The Intel driver is mentioned, but afterward, so are FBDEV and VESA.

[   979.729] (**) FBDEV(0): claimed PCI slot 0 at 0:2:0

Which is a little weird, the Intel probe code should have run first.  So
presumably, it did, and just didn't bind to the device for some reason.

> Do I need a device section specifying intel for server 1.9.3 to give what I need instead of XGA when there is no valid EDID? I would think monitor specs I provided to be sufficient.

They would, except the fbdev driver can't set arbitrary modes.  It can only
set things that the kernel already claims to support.

- ajax