Driver Question - evdev

Adam Jackson ajax at nwnk.net
Thu Feb 10 09:37:55 PST 2011

On Feb 10, 2011, at 7:45 AM, Johnson, Je wrote:

> I’ve got a Barco monitor that I’m using the touch screen configuration.  I’ve got a couple of questions concerning the configuration:
>
> 1.       The “xorg.conf” was setup to use the “evdev” driver and it’s working. But I’m not sure how the startup of “X” is calling this driver? I do not see with “lsmod” that the driver is loaded?

X's evdev driver is an X driver, not a kernel module.  lsmod shows kernel
modules.  Look in the X log file instead.

> 2.       When I disable/enable or turn off the monitor the “/dev/input/event#” changes and I have to update the xorg.conf file and restart X. Any other way to handle these changing events?

Use an InputClass section to match the device based on product or vendor name,
instead of on the device filename.  See the manual page for xorg.conf, and
refer to /proc/bus/input/devices for the ID strings for your touchscreen.

- ajax