Set the application always on top

Alan Cox alan at lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk
Tue Feb 22 13:58:21 PST 2011

On Tue, 22 Feb 2011 18:37:04 +0100
"MONDON Daniel" <Daniel.MONDON at lpgsystems.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am looking for an X command (?) to set my program on top level.
>
> In fact, this is a SplashScreen shown during transition between two
> program execution : in order to mask windows during closing and loading.

You can override the window manager if you must and place the window
yourself but the rest is normally to annoy the users even more than
watching windows change. Plus if they have multiple screens or displays
onto one screen you are almost guaranteed to do something daft like land
the splash screen across a monitor join.

Why not just unmap the old windows, open a simple progress bar in a
window the user can hide and defer mapping the new windows until
everything is actually ready ?