Radeon 8500 video overlay gone (xawtv and kdetv broken)

Alex Deucher alexdeucher at gmail.com
Sun Jan 2 16:45:16 PST 2011

On Sat, Jan 1, 2011 at 11:42 PM, Robert Braddock
<robert at concordantthought.com> wrote:
> I have a Radeon 8500 video card which I use under linux (debian testing)
> as video-in for my computer to act as my tv monitor.  Sometime since the
> Summer, this has stopped working and I am having no luck finding any
> helpful information by searching.  Most searches just refer to the old
> GATOS project, which hasn't done anything for years, but supposedly has
> been rolled into xorg's drivers, so shouldn't matter.
>
> Now, I know my card uses a "video overlay" which most tv-type programs
> don't seem to care about.  I used to use GATOS's avview to open the
> AV-in window, but that stopped working with X a year or so ago, at which
> point I went to the less reliable but functional xawtv.  That worked for
> a while by itself, but then I needed to run kdetv first, and then xawtv
> (and then kdetv again to shut off the audio).  This was especially odd
> because kdetv didn't actually ever get the actual video, but it would
> reliably get things setup so xawtv could work.  Xawtv still had
> problems, though: it would just go blank if you resized it or made it
> full screen.  The video would come back if you brought up xawtv's menu,
> so the process became: start kdetv, quit it, start xawtv, make it
> fullscreen, right click twice to get the menu and get rid of it again,
> use the video, quit xawtv, start kdetv, and finally quit it.  What a
> mess!  At least it worked, though.
>
> Now, it seems as though my overlay device just isn't there.  Kdetv says
> there's no video device at all and xawtv reports "no usable video port
> found".  Since kdetv and xawtv are unrelated programs, I'm guessing X is
> the one doing something different.
>
> I've looked through the xorg log, and there doesn't seem to be any kind
> of errors to follow up on.  I haven't made any config changes since back
> when it was working.  All that's changed is there have been updates
> installed, but I didn't use the video-in for some months, so I have no
> idea what batch of updates broke things, or why.
>
> This is a current debian testing, kernel 2.6.32-5-686, X.org X Server
> 1.7.7, xawtv 3.95.dfsg.1
>
> Any help tracking down and fixing the problem would be great...  Are
> there any other programs that will connect with the video-in overlay for
> a Radeon 8500?  If this was intentional, are there any recommended
> alternatives (other than new hardware, which isn't an option)?

The radeon video input features are not supported with KMS.  If you
want to use them, you will need to disable KMS.  Boot with
radeon.modeset=0 on your kernel command line in grub.  I don't know of
anyone actively working on porting the old video input code to KMS.

Alex