Radeon 9600 XT trouble radeon.hw_i2c

Patrick Haller patrick.haller at haller-consult.com
Fri Jan 7 22:09:35 PST 2011

Hi,

I've got two ViewSonic 930 LCDs attached to the DVI-0 and VGA-0 port of
a Sapphire Radeon 9600 XT. Using GIT master of xf86-video-ati on
xorg-1.9.3 RC 2 on Linux kernel 2.6.37 (gentoo).

Experimenting with radeon.hw_i2c=1 caused the DVI-0 LCD to go black
during boot. To identify the cause of the problem, I exchanged the
identical panels with the effect that the 2nd LCD also went dead on
DVI-0. Restarts and operating system switches didn't help.

Eventually, both panels kept working on VGA-0 with initial 1024x768 and
dmesg showed that the EDIDs of both panels were corrupt.
radeon.hw_i2c=1 seemingly has overwritten substantial parts of the the
LCDs EDID EEPROM with 0xff. (i2cdump)

To my great relief, I was able to manually (using i2cset and a VP930
reference EDID block) restore both EDID EEPROMS and got the panels
working fine again.
I'd not be too fond of retrying the whole procedure in order to ensure
that hw_i2c really was the culprit.

Have I overlooked documented warning of using hw_i2c on this old board
or has anyone else experienced such?

Thanks,
Patrick