xorg 8.16.6 ignores non-US keyboard

Alan Coopersmith alan.coopersmith at oracle.com
Sun Jan 9 09:46:42 PST 2011

On 01/ 9/11 01:52 AM, Ernst Terhardt wrote:
> Am unable to configure the version of X11 contained in Slackware 131
> for my German keyboard.  Traditional entries in xorg.conf, such as
> 'Option "XkbLayout" "de"', etc., have no effect. KDE may know how to
> solve this problem. But I do not wish to use KDE.

8.16.6 is not an Xorg version number, but if it's Xorg 1.4 or later,
then that's expected, as input hot-plug stopped reading keyboard &
mouse configuration from static entries in xorg.conf.

Some docs from other distros with more info:
  https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Input_device_configuration
  http://wiki.debian.org/XStrikeForce/InputHotplugGuide

	-Alan Coopersmith-        alan.coopersmith at oracle.com