forcing use of evdev driver for touchpad on DELL E4310 in fedora core 13

prayner at unimelb.edu.au prayner at unimelb.edu.au
Mon Jan 17 22:38:30 PST 2011

I need absolute rather than relative position from my touchpad.  At
Peter Hutterrer's suggestion I installed the following in
/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/99-evdev-touchpad.conf
Section "InputClass"
        Identifier "evdev touchpad"
        MatchIsTouchpad "on"
        Driver "evdev"
        Option "Mode" "absolute"
EndSection

which works nicely on my DELL D430.
On my DELL E4310, however, the touchpad isn't recognized
(see https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/637911)
and I have the same problem as described there, i.e no touchpad
visible in /proc/bus/input/devices.
The touchpad works in relative mode, having been initialized, I
suspect, as a generic mouse.
My question is whether I can force the use of the evdev driver to
allow the use of absolute axes or whether there is a low-level problem
that prevents this.
Please reply directly as well as to the list.
thanks in advance for any help
Peter

--
Peter Rayner