Issues with 2nd display being treated as primary (when not plugged in)

Bryan Hoyt | Brush Technology bryan at brush.co.nz
Wed Jan 19 13:23:16 PST 2011

Hello,

I have an all-in-one box with a builtin monitor (LVDS1) and 2nd hotpluggable
monitor (VGA1).

My problem in a few words: if I don't have a 2nd screen plugged in at boot,
I can't see a thing once X loads. If I have a 2nd screen plugged in at boot,
everything works more-or-less ok.

More detail: If I have VGA1 unplugged at boot, X detects it (VGA1) as
primary for some reason, and shows a blank screen on LVDS1 (but during BIOS
load, grub, and plymouth splash, the picture shows on LVDS1 as expected. I'd
expect X to do the same, but it doesn't). When I plug in VGA1, the picture
shows up fine on there, but no pic on LVDS1 until I load up Monitor
Preferences or use xrandr. If VGA1 is plugged in during boot, then both
screens operate as expected.

My xorg.conf: http://pastebin.com/NB06Dk47
My lspci: http://pastebin.com/n6bPhupW
My xorg.log: http://pastebin.com/pyx5y2g0

Can anyone help me delve further into the problem? Perhaps even help fix it?
;-)

I'd be very keen to chat with someone in person (Skype or something), if
that's appropriate -- but I'm more than happy to discuss via this list if
that's better.

Not wanting to be mercenary about it, but it's worth a small amount of money
to certain people to have this solved, so if there's not an obvious fix,
I could probably arrange some $$ compensation for time if an expert wants to
do some one-on-one consulting. I'd contribute any useful information back to
the list.

Kind regards,
Bryan

--
PS. Check out the Brush newsletter: *Subscribe or read our previous
newsletters* <http://brush.co.nz/newsletters>

Bryan Hoyt, *Web Development Manager*  --  Brush Technology
*Ph:* +64 3 741 1204     *Mobile:* +64 21 238 7955
*Web:* brush.co.nz