system locks when exiting X with radeon driver

Joseph Mingrone jrm at mingrone.org
Mon Jan 31 00:46:04 PST 2011

I'm running the latest xorg (7,5) compiled from ports on FreeBSD 8.2
RC2 and everything is working fine, but when I shutdown X, the system
locks every time.  This happens when I start X with no configuration
file or the configuration file below with either the ati or radeon
driver.  If I switch to the vesa driver the problem stops, but of
course performance drops (scrolling text, windows, etc. lag).

The relevant lines ffom pciconf -lv are

[CODE]vgapci0 at pci0:1:0:0:     class=0x030000 card=0x17721043
chip=0x4e501002 rev=0x00 hdr=0x00
    vendor     = 'ATI Technologies Inc. / Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.'
    device     = 'ATI MOBILITY /ATI RADEON 9600/9700 Series (M10)'
    class      = display
    subclass   = VGA[/CODE]

[URL="http://pastebin.com/my0zgUmX"]Xorg.0.log when using no
configuration file[/URL]
[URL="http://pastebin.com/0YMaAnZn"]Xorg.0.log when using the
configure file below[/URL]
[URL="http://pastebin.com/rTEX8b5g"]xorg.conf[/URL]

I've seen similar posts, which suggestion disabling dri, setting
various values for AccelMethod, setting different values for AGPMode
or using Option    "BusType" "PCI". I've tried all these, bu they
don't solve the problem.

Any suggestions?

TIA

Joey Mingrone