Slow 2D Graphics - IBM T60p - Ubuntu 10.10

James Rollins jcrollins at gmail.com
Fri Jul 1 11:14:51 PDT 2011

I've an IBM/Lenovo T60p with:
- ATI Mobility FireGL V5200 (Using the default Open Source radeon driver)
- 15" UXGA display
- Intel Centrino Duo processor (T2400)
- 2GB RAM

This is generally an outstanding laptop under Linux. Everything works
wonderfully (Verizon Mobile Broadband, Dual-Head, Suspend/Resume, WiFi,
Bluetooth, special keys and thinklight, etc).

The only real problem is terrible 2D performance in some applications:
- VNC sessions (through Vinagre and through other VNC clients)
- Cadence Virtuoso XL Layout (an integrated circuit CAD application)
- YouTube (flash) videos

The big ones for me are VNC and Cadence, as these are the tools I use for
work. If I dual-boot into Windows XP and use VNC the speed is fine. Note
that Youtube (flash) videos are fine in XP as well.

The VNC slowness occurs regardless of the VNC server I'm connected to
(Windows, Mac, Linux) and is very bad (the screen 'paints', from top to
bottom, in about 2 seconds, when there is a large display change).

Most users questions seem to concentrate on 3D performance, and in this
arena I have no complaints. Compiz works great and I don't play 3D games on
this laptop.

I hate booting Windows XP to get work done

Thanks in advance.....

James
  [image: hephastion is online now] [image: Report
Post]<http://ubuntuforums.org/report.php?p=11002059>   [image:
Edit/Delete Message]<http://ubuntuforums.org/editpost.php?do=editpost&p=11002059>