evdev fails with "Couldn't open mtdev device"

Florian Echtler floe at butterbrot.org
Tue Jul 12 04:48:53 PDT 2011

On Mon, 2011-07-11 at 16:07 -0700, walt wrote:
> Have you read about the new "InputClass" Section?  It has some advantages
> over the older "InputDevice", including the important ability to identify
> devices by their plug-n-play names instead the "event" number.
>
> As an example, here's my input section for a non-standard mouse:
>
> #cat /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/10-trackball.conf
> Section "InputClass"   <--------------- note the new name
>         Identifier "trackball"   <----- I made this name up
>         MatchProduct "ImExPS"    <----- important: I did not make this up
>         Option "AutoServerLayout" "on"
>         Option "Emulate3Buttons" "on"
>         Option "EmulateWheel" "on"
>         Option "EmulateWheelButton" "8"
> EndSection
Thanks for the hint - I've also stumbled across that in the manpage and
it actually does provide sort of a solution for my problem:

Section "InputDevice"
	Identifier "nullpointer"
	Driver "void"
	Option "CorePointer" "true"
EndSection

Section "InputClass"
	Identifier "mimoTouch"
	MatchIsTouchscreen "true"
	Option "InvertY" "true"
	Option "Calibration" "1252 31534 1598 31680"
EndSection

Section "InputClass"
	Identifier "nokeyboard"
	MatchIsKeyboard "true"
	Option "Ignore" "true"
EndSection

Section "InputClass"
	Identifier "nomouse"
	MatchIsPointer "true"
	Option "Ignore" "true"
EndSection

Section "ServerFlags"
	Option "AllowEmptyInput" "true"
	Option "AutoAddDevices" "true"
	Option "AutoEnableDevices" "false"
EndSection

So I have 3 InputClasses - 2 to disable standard devices, 1 to configure
the touchscreen and one "void" InputDevice to disable the default core
pointer (which would otherwise use /dev/input/mice). Looks a bit like a
hack to me, but works.

Florian