X Window system on Handheld devices

Corbin Simpson mostawesomedude at gmail.com
Sun Jul 17 10:13:51 PDT 2011

Responding inline.

On Jul 17, 2011 9:38 AM, "David Jackson" <djackson452 at gmail.com> wrote:

> You are making assumptions, that no company will ever produce a hardware
device that has a monochrome screen. Yet, a monochrome screen would be
suitable for ereader devices such as a kindle.

No such assumption was made; Xorg still supports low color depths.

> As for code, memory today is cheap. I've looked closely at X memory useage
and it seems from what i can see anyway that X server code consumes less
than 10 MB, with all of the compability infrastructure. Maintaining code for
compatability and backwards compatability has value greater than saving some
kilobytes or a megabyte in the age of hundreds or thousands of megabytes.

Yes, we know. Only a few of us have been pursuing lower memory footprints...

> If a handheld device manufacturer has very limited memory to work with,
maybe they could do their own custom compile X, if necessary, without some
sections of code. But I am doubtful that will often be the case that this is
necessary. But, for a desktop system today, it simply does not make sense
whatsoever, the backwards compatability with older X applications is far
more valuable.

...and those guys work for Nokia. Nokia, of course, is the cell phone
manufacturer which put Xorg on some of their phones.

> Ive been using X since the days of 90 MB of RAM. X memory usage has never
been a big issue, the idea that X, including code for backwards
compatability,  uses a lot of RAM is an old lie that refuses to die.
Blowing up baclwards compatability to save a megabyte or 2 of RAM makes no
sense whatsoever.

We aren't claiming this at all.