dead keys not working at all?

James Cloos cloos at jhcloos.com
Mon Jul 25 08:25:55 PDT 2011

AP> Even though `xev` shows that the keys are read (say, "state 0x80,
AP> keycode 25 (keysym 0xfe51, dead_acute), same_screen YES") typing
AP> those keys followed by a vowel like "e" does not give "é" (or "ê",
AP> or "è", etc) as I would expect, but just "e".  This behavior happens
AP> with all the X applications I could try (not restricted to some
AP> given toolkit).

The likely cause is that the Compose table is not found.

Try tracing (IIRC, on FreeBSD it would be ktrace(8)) an app.  Does it
look for Compose files?  Does the install directory match where it looked?

Do you have any external Input Method apps running?  They would override
the one built in to libX11.

-JimC