Emulate3Buttons not honored

Peter Hutterer peter.hutterer at who-t.net
Wed Jul 27 14:35:49 PDT 2011

On Wed, Jul 27, 2011 at 09:28:52AM -0400, K Vanw wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 26, 2011 at 6:13 PM, Peter Hutterer
> <peter.hutterer at who-t.net> wrote:
> > On Tue, Jul 26, 2011 at 05:48:12PM -0400, K Vanw wrote:
> > [...]
> >>
> >> Interesting. I was using the Gnome wm, but switched to good old
> >> fluxbox and it worked fine (also works without a wm as Peter
> >> suggested). That is, it correctly set Emulate3Buttons from my
> >> xorg.conf.d file. So the question is, why/how is gnome turning it off?
> >> Not really an X11 question, but maybe someone here knows.
> >
> > gsettings set org.gnome.settings-daemon.peripherals.mouse
> > middle-button-enabled true
> >
> > should get you there, it's probably false now (it is on my machine and I
> > don't think I ever set this myself)
>
> Yep. Thanks. BTW, do you know how to set an inertia value for my
> pointer so when I flick the touchpad the pointer will coast ala a
> trackball? I have this on my laptop and find it useful.

Coasting should be enabled by default with synaptics 1.3 and later. Options
CoastingSpeed and CoastingFriction are the triggers, just look up the
synaptics man page, that should explain it. That's just for scrolling
though, we don't have any coasting implementation for the pointer movement.

Cheers,
  Peter