after Debianupdate (5->6) XWindows didnt start anymore

Colin Guthrie gmane at colin.guthr.ie
Wed Mar 2 04:37:43 PST 2011

'Twas brillig, and Norbert Jeßberger at 01/03/11 15:30 did gyre and gimble:
> hi
> after the Debian update the X-Server didnt start anymore.
>
> I have a FujiSiemens Laptop (17'' Display) with an ATI mobility radeon X700.
> At the frist start after the update Ive got the error: 'failed to load /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/fglrx_drv.so'
>
> So I searched in the 'non-free'- Packages for fglrx stuff and installed them. After that ive got the error: 'no supported AMD display adapter found    no dvices detected'
>
> I didnt found this problem somewhere. Im a rookie so i hope you can help me :)

This is probably something that should be discussed initially via a
Debian support channel (e.g. mailing list, forums etc) before coming to
upstream. You'll likely find a better experience that way.

That said, do you know if the updated fglrx driver still supports you
ATI h/w? It could be that support has been removed. Perhaps using the
open source driver instead would be a better option? Again some Debian
specific support would likely help you try that out easily :)

Good luck

Col

--

Colin Guthrie