Xterm in Maximized Mode

Evgeny M. Zubok evgeny.zubok at tochka.ru
Mon Mar 28 02:19:56 PDT 2011

Ajay Jain <ajay050 at gmail.com> writes:

>> Hm, if your xterm doesn't support -maximized and if your WM (what's
>> your WM?) hasn't means to maximize xterm on start, you could try
>> 'devilspie':
>
> I use Gnome. Could you/anybody help on how can WM maximize it? I mean
> what command. Meanwhile, I shall look at devilspie.

More probably, your WM is Metacity. AFAIK, it doesn't have knobs and
sliders to do such things - namely, maximize xterm or other application
on start. devilspie is the solution.

http://ubuntu-tutorials.com/2007/07/25/how-to-set-default-workspace-size-and-window-effects-in-gnome/

Look also at this tread:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=202249&highlight=terminal+desktop

Another solution is 'wmctrl'. However, wmctrl is not able to control the
geometry of xterm on start, it can be run just after xterm to change its
geometry as follows:

wmctrl -r <window_selection_criteria> -b add,maximized_vert,maximized_horz