Changing non-printing keys in keyboard layout

Dotan Cohen dotancohen at
Mon May 9 01:42:37 PDT 2011

On Mon, May 9, 2011 at 11:15, Dirk Wallenstein <halsmit at> wrote:
> To change modifiers you have to edit the modifier_map entries, too.
> They look something like this:
>    modifier_map Mod1 { <LALT> };
>    modifier_map Shift { <LFSH> };
>    modifier_map Control { <LCTL> };
>    modifier_map Lock { <CAPS> };
> For example, replace the last line with:
>    modifier_map Lock { <AB05> };

Thanks, Dirk. Is <AB05> called a keycode? I will use that term for
purpose of discussion below, please tell me the correct term if it's

I'm having a hard time figuring out what the keycodes of the bottom
keyboard row are. For instance, what is the keycode currently assigned
to L_Alt? Where would I find that? I need them for all the modifier
keys. I tried looking in the remaining files in ~/symbols but I can't
find that info.

Thank you very much!

Dotan Cohen

More information about the xorg mailing list