Strange problem that might be a hardware malfunction.

James Richard Tyrer tyrerj at acm.org
Thu Nov 10 20:34:23 PST 2011

I had a Radeon 9200 video card which I used for some time.  For
apparently no reason, it started showing vertical Magenta stripes that
are in the frame buffer since they also showed up in a screen shot:

http://on.fb.me/sGUVX3

I have a lot of parts sitting around so I tried a Radeon 9250 and things
improved.  But still similar problems.

http://on.fb.me/sGUVX3

Look closely at the icons and the scroll bar.  I have the similar
Magenta vertical stripes that flicker on when the screen redraws.  Also
I have green vertical stripes in photographs and dark colors.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.  I am presuming that it is
hardware but it would be a coincidence if two graphics cards had similar
issues.  I tried another mother board and it made no significant difference.

I am using the "radeon" driver: xf86-video-ati-6.12.4 and Linux 3.0.4
with X.Org 1.7.1.  All 32 bit.

--

James Tyrer

Linux (mostly) From Scratch