Strange problem that might be a hardware malfunction.

James Richard Tyrer tyrerj at acm.org
Fri Nov 11 16:40:39 PST 2011

On 11/11/2011 05:48 AM, Michel Dänzer wrote:
> On Fre, 2011-11-11 at 04:00 -0700, James Richard Tyrer wrote:
>>> Please provide the Xorg.0.log file and dmesg output.
>>>
>> Files are attached.
> Thanks, but please always follow up to the mailing list. I'm doing so
> now.
Yes, I clicked the wrong button in Thunderbird.  It, unfortunately,
depends on how the list server is set up which one I need to click.
> Anyway, I can see a few problems:
>
>        * X uses the generic vesa driver. Try the radeon driver instead.
I found a typo in my: "xorg.conf" file that was the reason that it was
falling back to VESA (as it should have when there was an error).  Fixed
that..

>        * The kernel is configured to use radeonfb,
Yes, I configured the Kernel in a hurry and appear to have enabled both
the Radeon DRM driver and the Radeon FB driver.
> which precludes the
>          radeon driver from enabling KMS.
The Kernel instructions indicate that I shouldn't enable KMS till I
update my X software, but it doesn't indicate  what version is needed.
> This may work, but it's
>          generally recommended to disable radeonfb and enable KMS.
So, I have now disabled FB support in the Kernel, but have not enabled KMS.

I will post new log files in a few minutes.

--
James Tyrer

Linux (mostly) From Scratch