Shift-Backspace kills X?

Marty Jack martyj19 at comcast.net
Tue Oct 4 14:06:04 PDT 2011

On 10/04/2011 04:34 PM, walt wrote:
> On 10/04/2011 09:19 AM, Octoploid wrote:
>> walt <w41ter <at> gmail.com> writes:
>>
>>> Just lately I've found that Shift-Backspace terminates my X session
>>> just the way Ctrl-Alt-Backspace did in the old days.
>
>> Yes, I've hit the same problem. I came up with this hack in .xinitrc ,
>> which "solves" the issue for me:
>>
>> (sleep 2 && xmodmap -e "keycode 22 = BackSpace BackSpace BackSpace BackSpace
>> NoSymbol NoSymbol Terminate_Server")&
>
> That evidently does the same as editing /usr/share/X11/kdb/symbols/terminate
> (thanks for the clue Alan :) but how did you come up with that fix on your own?
>
> Are you one of the rare individuals in our solar system who really understands
> what that, um, stuff actually means?  I've done a bit of googling on the key-
> code stuff in the past and finally gave up in despair of ever making sense of it.
>
> For example, why does the keycode spec include four BackSpaces and two NoSymbols?
> Which documentation actually explains why it's done that way?  I'll read it again
> if you can point me to it.
>
> Many thanks for the help!

The part of the keyboard map taken from the "types" subdirectory tells you how the columns map onto modifier keys, which is what this particular line is depending on.  You can't read just the documentation because all the parts of the keyboard map must be working together to get a particular effect.