High /usr/bin/X CPU Usage

Tormod Volden lists.tormod at gmail.com
Tue Sep 6 02:48:03 PDT 2011

On Tue, Sep 6, 2011 at 2:46 AM, Robert Massaioli wrote:
> In a nutshell: I am having issues with /usr/bin/X taking up way too much CPU

> My computer is quite powerful and should easily be able to handle any load
> that any part of linux can throw at it. I have a Quad Core i2500k CPU, an
> NVIDIA 560 Ti Graphics Card and 8GB RAM, so no hardware bottlenecks thats

Are you using the proprietary nvidia driver? Or nouveau or nv? The
best is if you can try the latest development version of your
distribution and file a bug there if you can reproduce it.

> My window manager is XMonad as you can see from above and I am also running
> XMobar (0.13) through that. I have tried:

> Closing every single X program (bar XMonad) to see if /usr/bin/X would start
> behaving again.

Try also running without xmonad (not that I really suspect xmonad is
at fault). At the gdm login screen you can choose a "failsafe
terminal" as session, which will give you an xterm without any window
manager. Alternatively you can switch to a virtual console, stop X and
gdm by running "sudo stop gdm" and then start a bare xterm session by
running "xinit" - as long as you have not created a .xinitrc to start
other stuff of course.

You said the problem appears after some time. Does a restart of the
xserver fix it temporarily again or do you need to reboot?

Regards,
Tormod