xrandr confusion over different options that do the same thing

Alex Deucher alexdeucher at gmail.com
Wed Apr 25 05:06:28 PDT 2012

On Tue, Apr 24, 2012 at 10:38 PM, Kai Hendry <hendry at webconverger.com> wrote:
> Firstly why CC both xorg at lists.x.org, xorg at freedesktop.org ?

I just replied to your email.  I didn't change the addresses.

> On 25 April 2012 01:02, Alex Deucher <alexdeucher at gmail.com> wrote:
>> The names give a pretty good indication as they generally map to the
>> physical connector.
>
> Understood, but I'm looking for a simple "default", which I have seen
> on some setups in the past. Perhaps it's deprecated.

What do you mean by simple?  Modern hardware supports multiple
simultaneous displays and users want to configure them in multiple
ways: clones desktops, large desktops spread across multiple displays,
different modes on each display.  There's not really a good way to
guess what a user wants.

> For example in our OS http://webconverger.org/boot/ people do not know
> in advance what their physical connector will be called for the
> xrandr= API.

By default the displays should come up in their native modes which is
generally what users want.

> The end result are that users find this Xorg feature really hard to use.

What would be easier?  I think most users are now familiar with
multiple displays.  if xrandr on the commandline is too complex there
are multiple GUIs for configuring displays.  Most are pretty similar
to the windows display configuration tools.

Alex