very bad performance

Chris Wilson chris at chris-wilson.co.uk
Tue Aug 7 09:28:40 PDT 2012

On Tue, 7 Aug 2012 19:00:14 +0300, Mihai Donțu <mihai.dontu at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm having an issue where everything on my desktop moves dog slow after
> some days of operation. :-)
>
> My scenario: I open a lot of applications (konsole, kate, krdc,
> claws-mail etc.) which I use the entire time while I'm at work. When I
> leave I just suspend my system, go home, resume and continue for
> another two or three hours after which I suspend again until the next
> day at work. I do this for two or three days. At some point, a few
> hours after I resumed, everything starts moving/reacting very slow to
> the point where it becomes impossible to work (it takes 2-3 seconds to
> move from one email to another in claws-mail, when it used to be an
> instant operation). All types of applications (qt-based, gtk-based etc.)
> behave this way. The only solution I've found is to close everything,
> log out and log back in.
>
> I used to encounter this type of problem when using the nvidia blob,
> without doing any suspend/resume.
>
> Has anyone else encountered this issue? Does anyone have any
> suggestions? None of the logs
> (dmesg, .xsession-error, /var/log/messages, /var/log/Xorg.log) contain
> anything about this.

There have bugs where the cacheability flags of the pages in memory have
been lost over suspend and resume, and where the GPU became stuck in a
low power mode. So such degradation of performance over time is not
unheard of. One of the key questions is if we have no errors reported
how do the performance characteristics of the system vary over time?
Running x11perf along with the benchmarks from intel-gpu-tools would be
a good way to get some results that should help give some insight as to
what changes. Along with comparing perf profiles over time.
-Chris