Netiquette: No HTML messages please.

Gábor Lénárt lgb at lgb.hu
Mon Aug 13 06:20:16 PDT 2012

On Mon, Aug 13, 2012 at 09:57:18AM +0200, walter harms wrote:
> It has nothing todo with broadband, i filter html-mails they can easily
> be just to hide spam, so sort them as spam.

And anyway, what's the point of HTML mail in the case when there is no
strict need for "formatted mail" (and rich text is available anyway for
those cases!).  Just because current technology makes it possible, it does
not mean it's compulsory to use _all_ the time (if you have car, no need to
drive a car to visit the neighbour all the time with the explanation "but we
have cars in the 2012 dude, this is not stone age!"), especially if you
consider the extra energy needed to pass larger data (just imagine that half
of the world sends mails in plain text and HTML, I can imagine how much
larger a HTML mail compared to plain text especially with shorter mails, now
multiply this with millions ...).  And yes, HTML (especially HTML only!)
mails are often the sign of spams, I also put them into the spam folder by
default.

Sorry for OT.