event that notifies me that a new (usb) keyboard was connected

Giuseppe Penone giuspen at gmail.com
Thu Aug 30 15:46:25 PDT 2012

Hi,
I'm taking care of a simple applet for the lxpanel named keyboard layout
handler (http://www.giuspen.com/customs/)
which works with setxkbmap.

The applet works pretty good but I realized that if I connect an usb
keyboard, the new keyboard won't take the settings
from setxkbmap but rather the single layout defined at installation time.
For this reason I need to call setxkbmap again if an usb keyboard is
connected.

Can anybody help me, maybe with a C code snippet, to understand how to get
the event
that a new keyboard is connected (if this event exists).
Thanks, cheers,
Giuseppe.