Status of Multiseat and choosing a methodology

Zoltan Szecsei zoltans at geograph.co.za
Sat Feb 25 03:44:16 PST 2012

Hi Everyone,
I hope that I am not annoying anyone posting this question here, but as
I figure that xorg is the common denominator, you guys here would be
able to give me a direction.

I am looking for a simple way to (re)implement multiseat, preferably on
ubuntu with GDM and not KDM, but might consider any nice light window
manager gifted with simplicity and speed.
I have been using multiseat on Ubuntu 6.06 since 2006, but the newer
(post gdm 2.2) versions no longer support this.
My HW consists of 3 * PCIe x 16 (ok, not all 3 are x16) slots with
discreet nVidia cards, and logitech USB cordless desktops, and I would
like to load Ubuntu 11.10 unless someone provides compelling reasons to
use the latest ubuntu snapshot.

Unless there are compelling reasons, I'm not keen on using any other
method except that of editing xorg.conf, and (as in the older past)
gdm.conf-custom (or the "now" equivalent).

So,
Please can I have some suggestions on what to use.

Is the going back to Ubuntu 11.04 and using the patched GDM a good idea?
(see https://launchpad.net/~a7x/+archive/multiseat/+index# )

Thanks in advance,
Zoltan

BTW: The seats will mainly be used for proprietry software (GIS data
capture), and a bit of casual internet browsing with firefox. ie: no
fancy desktop SW accompanying the usual ubuntu installs will probably
even be touched)

Zoltan Szecsei PrGISc [PGP0031]
Geograph (Pty) Ltd.
P.O. Box 7, Muizenberg 7950, South Africa.

65 Main Road, Muizenberg 7945
Western Cape, South Africa.

34° 6'16.35"S 18°28'5.62"E

Tel: +27-21-7884897  Mobile: +27-83-6004028
Fax: +27-86-6115323     www.geograph.co.za