ANN: xterm patch #277
dickey at radix.net
Sat Jan 7 18:26:12 PST 2012
Patch #277 - 2012/01/07
* remove special case for ISC pseudo-terminals which attempts to open
the pty in two different ways.
* move call to grantpt before asking utempter to add a record, to
work with kFreeBSD which does not update the terminal's ownership
until this point (Debian #652907).
* document limitation of XIM interface in manpage (Debian #230787).
* cleanup error reporting with new xtermWarning function.
* add configure option --disable-selection-ops to make the new
* add four new actions for making the selection or data directly
copied from the screen (prompted by discussion in Debian #637001,
as well as report by Arjen van Tol):
* add visualBellLine resource to allow visualBell to flash only the
current line (prompted by patch by Gertjan Halkes).
* add eightBitMeta resource to control the features which modify or
interpret the eighth bit of a key when the meta modifier key is
pressed (prompted by Debian #326200).
* improve discussion of eightBitInput in the manpage (prompted by
* correct logic for alt-sends-escape action, overlooked when
implementing altSendsEscape resource, which still used
eightBitInput resource value.
* add a workaround for XAllocColor(), which does not actually
allocate "a read-only colormap entry corresponding to the closest
RGB value supported by the hardware", but rather a rough
approximation (Debian #650291).
* undo parameter checks for RequestResize() added in patch #251 and
amended in patch #270, because zeros also are special cases (report
by John S Urban).
* modify some test-scripts to use /bin/echo rather than the shell's
possibly-builtin echo, to work around broken configuration on Mac
OS X, i.e., neither honoring the option nor flagging an error.
* add SGR 1006, as a better technical solution than SGR 1015:
+ the responses will not be confused with line-deletion and
+ the button encoding is a little simpler, since it does not add
an unnecessary 32 because the integer parameter does not have
to be represented as a printable character.
+ the control responses for pressing and releasing a mouse
button differ, allowing an application to tell which button
Besides these improvements, in discussion, it was noted that
urxvt's implementation of 1005 is incorrect, relying upon a locale
that provides UTF-8 encoding. In contrast, vttest demonstrates a
correct decoding, independent of locale.
* add support for urxvt SGR 1015 to address shortcoming of SGR 1005
with luit (patch by Egmont Koblinger).
* add ISO and DEC controls useful for left/right scrolling.
* add some changes for OpenBSD and MirBSD (adapted from patch by
+ disable search for non-Unix96 ptys.
+ fix a gcc warning in timestamp_filename
+ modify Imakefile to install xterm setgid to utmp.
* add/use/prefer posix_openpt() for opening pseudo-terminal.
* modify special errno handling case in ptydata.c from patch #158 to
allow for the possibility that any platform may have special cases
where "/dev/tty" is absent. For example, this can happen in a
FreeBSD jail (patch by David Wolfskill).
* add keyboard logic to map shift-tab into XK_ISO_Left_Tab, which is
usually, not always, done by the X keyboard configuration.
* portability fixes for some configure macros: CF_XOPEN_SOURCE
Thomas E. Dickey
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: not available
Size: 228 bytes
Desc: not available
More information about the xorg