atom boards with i915 video

gene heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Sat Jan 14 07:55:57 PST 2012

Greetings all;

I just installed a new box on my milling machine, an Intel D525 Atom
powered board with onboard i915 video.

One of the graphics visualization tools that would be part of the
processing chain between CadSofts 'eagle' and the nc code to actually
engrave the pc board is 'visolate', a bit of a *.jar odd duck in that it
can output gcode that can carve the board in perhaps only 10% of the time
that most 'isolation engraved' pc board take.  That could convert an 8 hour
job into perhaps 30-45 minutes on my machine with a spindle about 100k rpms
to slow to do it very fast.

Unfortunately it needs the java3d stuffs for its preview display, and bails
out if the '3d' functions aren't available.  I think I managed to get the
java3d stuffs installed thanks to some relatively simple procedures I found
on one of the reprap oriented forums, but from the results obtained when I
try to use it, the i915 driver hasn't those capabilities.

Is there a chance it might grow such features?  Or is that hardware just
too puny to do it and I am stuck with PCB-Gcode generating the 8 hour job?

Thanks people.

Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
The good life was so elusive