Recommended method remote X access

tom fogal tfogal at sci.utah.edu
Fri Jul 6 11:35:10 PDT 2012

What's the recommended way to use X on a remote server these days?

The situation is pretty typical: I have a remote server with a nice GPU,
and shell access to that server. I'd like to run a server process there
which accepts commands, renders something or other, and sends back an image.

The issue is access to the DISPLAY. I need to auto-log someone in so
that we get an X server. Then I open up DISPLAY access to every local
user. I was hoping I could get around these issues.

I am aware of VirtualGL and glX forking. We are looking for something
less general and more cross-platform--the current approach even works
with a windows server right now, for example.

What's the recommended setup for this nowadays?

-tom