Odd issues with Cando touch screen

Chandler Paul thatslyude at gmail.com
Sun Jul 8 14:54:34 PDT 2012

On Mon, 9 Jul 2012 11:41:25 +1000
Peter Hutterer <peter.hutterer at who-t.net> wrote:

> On Sun, Jul 08, 2012 at 08:29:40PM +0000, Chandler Paul wrote:
> > Hello, I just recently got my hands on a Lenovo S10-3t, and
> > installed Gentoo on it. Everything seems to work, however I am
> > having two problems with the touch screen related to Xorg. For one,
> > evdev does not seem to honor my settings no matter what I do. I
> > have tried to turn on the option "ThirdButtonEmulation" With evdev
> > so that doing a long press on a spot on the screen will have evdev
> > emulate a right click, however even though I can see that Xorg does
> > indeed have the option turned on, it does not actually seem to take
> > affect. I have already checked to make sure that Xfce was not
> > interferring with the settings by trying it in plain Xorg with twm,
> > however it still seems to act the same. In addition, I also am
> > unable to interact with window borders in Xfce with my touch
> > screen. I am not sure whether or not this is the fault of Xfce or
> > Xorg, so I figured I might as well ask this here too. Basically,
> > whenever I try to move, close, minimize, etc. any window by using
> > it's title bar, nothing happens. The title bar seems to completely
> > ignore any input from the touch screen, however if I try to do the
> > same with my touchpad I encounter no issues. I've already asked
> > forums, the Gentoo mailing lists, IRC chat rooms, and I've still
> > yet to come up with a solution to this issue, I'm almost starting
> > to think it's actually a bug with Xorg. Hopefully I'll be able to
> > find some sort of solution here.
>
> hard to tell without any log but my suspicions:
> - right mouse button emulation only works for non-multitouch
> touchscreens. if your touchscreen does speak the kernel's touch event
> protocol, the right button emulation won't be handled in the driver,
> it's expected to be handled in the client stack
>   evtest should tell you, if you see ABS_MT_POSITION_X, etc. come in
> for touches then you can't use the driver's button emulation
> - use xev to look at what events are sent by the device. if they look
>   normal, the issue is unlikely in the server. one possibility is
> that your WM registers for touch events but doesn't do anything with
> them? does the touchscreen work otherwise?
>
> Cheers,
>   Peter

Well you just answered a question that many hours of Googling could not, and I apologize for not including a log (I included one this time), all the other places I included the log didn't really seem to pay much attention to it. My screen is multitouch, so how would you recommend I go about doing right click emulation if I cannot do it with the evdev driver?
Also yes, my touch screen does work otherwise, I have not tried actually taking advantage of the multitouch feature yet though. though.
(sorry for the double-send, I forgot to forward this to the mailing list the first time, I'm still quite new to these mailing lists shinanigans)