Odd behavior with damage events and override-redirect windows

Keith Packard keithp at keithp.com
Tue Jul 17 12:04:12 PDT 2012

Jess VanDerwalker <washu at sonic.net> writes:

> This works correctly for non-override redirect windows. But something
> odd occurs with window flagged as override redirect. In that case, the
> coordinates for the window are root relative, not window relative. As
> an example, if the override redirect window is mapped with x=10, y=10,
> width=100, height=100 the first damage event (which is a complete
> drawing of the window) would report a damage area of x=10, y=10,
> width=100, height=100.

I'll bet the damage is somehow computed before the window is redirected
by Composite. Damage has this mode where it saves regions from *before*
an action, and then reports them *after* an action. If that action
redirects the window, the region is probably left relative to the old
window state.

Non override-redirect windows wouldn't get this as they go through a
very different path due to the window manager interaction.

keith.packard at intel.com