[Xcb] [ANNOUNCE] xcb-util 0.3.9

Rafał Mużyło galtgendo at gmail.com
Mon Jun 4 17:39:43 PDT 2012

I think, that the key issue here is this:
> version-info is current/revision/age based
> version-number is major/minor/tiny based
> The former confuses the heck out of me, and I always need to lookup
> documentation for it.  I suggest you might want to switch to
> version-number.
Well, the version-info scheme is a bit confusing, but you seem to miss
its point.

Those numbers don't exist so the end user can have a pretty number at
the end of the library file (as some of the people tend to think). They
are an info to the system maintainer, that either ( *all* of the symbols
present in the old version are still present and do the same things they
did before ) or ( *every* program using this library either needs a rebuild
or needs to stick to the previous library version ).

So the only thing that matters here is if xcb_atom_get_predefined and
xcb_atom_get_name_predefined were *public* API. If they were (and it
does seems so), their removal is an ABI break and major number bump is
*required*.