Multiple Xservers and VT-Switch

Alexandre CONFIANT-LATOUR cmwachoukette at gmail.com
Thu Jun 28 00:56:26 PDT 2012

On 26/06/2012 23:47, Wolfgang Draxinger wrote:
> On Tue, 26 Jun 2012 13:25:40 +0200
> Alexandre CONFIANT-LATOUR<cmwachoukette at gmail.com>  wrote:
>> I'm working on a small X.org module that will provide remote desktop
>> capabilities to an Xserver but i'm stuck with VT-Switch problems.
>
> Well, personally I'd use Xpra for this. Xpra is a proxy X server, that
> allows to detach and reattch X clients. This would also ease up your
> use case. Use a Xvfb or Xvnc for the remote framebuffer case and attach
> to a regular X server for local login or SSH X forwarding.

Using Xpra with Xvfb/Xvnc is not a solution for me because i'm working
on an Xvnc alternative (as an Xorg module that can be plugged-in to a
standard Xorg where Xvnc is a moded server)

>> I think that this problem is caused by VT-Switch that disable inputs
>> and outputs from the first Xserver when starting the second.
>
> Yes. It's not only input processing that goes away, but also the
> screen framebuffer. Without that you have no video you could send out.

Yes that was my problem but i found a way to handle VT-Switches without
disabling IO and Framebuffer access and without modding the Xserver itself.

The hack was to unregister 'xf86Wakeup' from Wakeup handlers. Register a
custom function that check the 'xf86info.vtRequestPending' flag, switch
it to false, call the original 'xf86Wakeup' and handle the vt-switch in
the way i wanted.

Thank you for your answer.

--
Alexandre Confiant-Latour