XDrawLine and optimization

Christopher Howard christopher.howard at frigidcode.com
Fri Mar 2 13:21:31 PST 2012

I don't have much (any?) Xlib programming savvy, but before diving
headlong into the Programming Manual I was hoping to get some
perspective. There is a particular application I use pretty often, and
one of the things it does is to draw filled line graphs on the screen,
which it does by calling XDrawLine() with the appropriate parameters for
each data point. Looking at the code, I was curious if I could optimize
this, by first drawing everything into some kind of local memory buffer
and then passing that into some Xlib function all at once.

However, since XDrawLine() presumably draws the lines into a buffer
anyway, I'm wondering if there are any realistic gains (or any gains at
all) to be had by such an approach.

--
frigidcode.com
indicium.us