Unplug HDMI - xrandr gives blank screen and "Configure crtc 0 failed"

Jamie Kitson jamie at kitten-x.com
Thu Mar 29 14:45:56 PDT 2012

Hi,

I'm looking for some advice on solving an issue I have with HDMI out
on my Asus Zenbook UX31E. When I plug an HDMI device in and run xrandr
everything is fine and both laptop and external HDMI monitor .
However, when I disconnect the HDMI device and run xrandr again it
gives the following errors and both screens go off.

[jamie at jamie-laptop ~]$ xrandr --output eDP1 --auto --output HDMI1
--auto --above eDP1
xrandr: Configure crtc 0 failed
X Error of failed request:  BadMatch (invalid parameter attributes)
  Major opcode of failed request:  150 (RANDR)
  Minor opcode of failed request:  21 (RRSetCrtcConfig)
  Serial number of failed request:  38

[jamie at jamie-laptop ~]$ xrandr -q
Screen 0: minimum 320 x 200, current 1920 x 1980, maximum 8192 x 8192
eDP1 connected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
   1600x900       60.0 +
   1024x768       60.0
   800x600        60.3     56.2
   640x480        59.9
VGA1 disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
HDMI1 disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
DP1 disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)

When both are connected:

[jamie at jamie-laptop ~]$ xrandr -q
Screen 0: minimum 320 x 200, current 1920 x 1980, maximum 8192 x 8192
eDP1 connected 1600x900+0+1080 (normal left inverted right x axis y
axis) 293mm x 164mm
   1600x900       60.0*+
   1024x768       60.0
   800x600        60.3     56.2
   640x480        59.9
VGA1 disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
HDMI1 connected 1920x1080+0+0 (normal left inverted right x axis y
axis) 475mm x 267mm
   1920x1080      60.0*+
   1600x1200      60.0
   1680x1050      60.0
   1280x1024      60.0
   1440x900       59.9
   1280x960       60.0
   1280x720       60.0
   1024x768       60.0
   800x600        60.3
   640x480        60.0
   720x400        70.1
DP1 disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)

Any pointers much appreciated, Jamie