What to do with unrecognized keys on laptop

James Cloos cloos at jhcloos.com
Wed May 2 06:02:43 PDT 2012

AL> Is there any chance I can get the "Leveno Mic Mute" key working
AL> with X applications ?

I don't have a laptop, but the usb keyboard generates a usb hid event
which becomes *mouse* button 20 in X.

AL> Xev wasn't recognizing it , no event captured.

Did you have the mouse pointer in the xev window; at least with the usb
keyboard (as per above) the pointer must be in the xev window for xev
to see the event.

If so, you need something which will allow specific mouse button events
to trigger application calls.

As for the led, evtest shows only a single led:

  Event type 17 (LED)
    Event code 7 (Mute)

and I expect that covers the speaker mute led rather than the microphone
mute led.  xset led 7 and xset -led 7 ought to turn that led on and off,
but that doesn't seem to work.

-JimC