share mouse and keyboard between multiple computers with X11 on your desk

Marius Gedminas marius at gedmin.as
Thu Nov 29 22:12:07 PST 2012

On Thu, Nov 29, 2012 at 11:49:20PM +0000, Sérgio Basto wrote:

> > SB> Does anyone knows how "share mouse and keyboard between multiple
> > SB> computers with X11 on your desk " ?
> >
> > If they are all on a local lan, and you can handle the idea of
> > unencrypted traffic, just run X over tcp.
> >
> > For a more distributed collection of remote clients, or if you require
> > encrytion over the lan, you can either tunnel X over ssh (cf the -X and
> > the -Y options to ssh) or use ipsec to secure at the network layer.
>
> Not the point , I want share mouse and keyboard , not run a X app of
> other computer in my computer .

This is what I use

  ssh -X othermachine x2x -to :0 -east

despite the unpleasant possibility that a bad WiFi spell can leave me
without control of either machine (because x2x grabs keyboard & mouse).

Marius Gedminas
--
Every DRM scheme relies on encrypting files, then giving them to someone else,
along with the necessary decryption key for decrypting them, and trusting that