XF86WLAN and rfkill

James Cloos cloos at jhcloos.com
Wed Apr 3 07:29:32 PDT 2013

JT> I can turn the wireless on and off using rfkill, but pressing the Fn+F9
JT> key does nothing.  I presume that XF86WLAN should trigger toggling of
JT> rfkill, is that so?  What do I need to do to make it work?

You need to have something process the event.

If you only use that key in X, that can be an X application (such as
your window manager).  If you want it also to work outside X it needs
to be a daemon listening on the evdev device in parallel to X.

For the former case, check your window manager's documentation for how
to have a keypress run a program.  As an example, I use this with icewm
to control volume on my headset using the keyboard:

,----< excerpt from ~/.icewm/keys >
| key "XF86AudioRaiseVolume" amixer -c 2 sset Headphone 1+
| key "XF86AudioLowerVolume" amixer -c 2 sset Headphone 1-
| key "XF86AudioMute" amixer -c 2 sset Headphone toggle
| key "XF86XK_AudioMicMute" amixer -c 2 sset Mic toggle
`----

A solution outside X would listen on all of the /dev/input/event*
devices for KEY_RFKILL events and interact with /dev/rfkill just
like the rfkill(1) application does.

-JimC