xf86-video-nested: supposed to work on a remote X server over TCP?

Jiri Bohac jbohac at jikos.cz
Thu Feb 14 03:10:47 PST 2013

Hi,

I am trying to build a multihead system by networking a few
computers together and using their video outputs, as I don't have
enough outputs on the local computer. I have tried xdmx, but it
crashes a lot, so I was hoping to replace it with
xf86-video-nested.

xf86-video-nested with Xinerama enabled works fine when
configured to  open two client windows on a local X server.
When I configure one of them to be on a remote X server, it does
not work:

It does "something" on the remote X, I can see a second mouse
cursor, but both the local and the remote windows stay black
(I'm running with the -retro option, so the background should
have the pattern) and nothing gets shown when I open an xterm on
the new xf86-video-nested display.

Is this something that is supposed to work? What can I do to
debug it?

Thanks!

--
Jiri Bohac <jbohac at jikos.cz>