xf86-input-synaptics: Secondary mouse button isn't recognized

Peter Hutterer peter.hutterer at who-t.net
Wed Jan 2 15:51:38 PST 2013

On Tue, Dec 25, 2012 at 03:31:01PM +0100, Karol Babioch wrote:
> Hi,
>
> it's been a while, however I've got other things to do the last couple
> of weeks. Nevertheless this is still something bugging me.
>
> Am 26.11.2012 00:03, schrieb Peter Hutterer:
> > please provide your Xorg.log. this should be a clickpad, the matching
> > property should be set and the right button should be enabled in software.
>
> Here you go: http://pastebin.com/ZhrGMbc0

please don't use pastebin-like services for logs on mailing lists. it
doesn't archive and links are prone to randomly disappearing.

from the log:
[    23.370] (II) synaptics: SynPS/2 Synaptics TouchPad: found clickpad property
[    23.370] (--) synaptics: SynPS/2 Synaptics TouchPad: x-axis range 1472 - 5682
[    23.370] (--) synaptics: SynPS/2 Synaptics TouchPad: y-axis range 1408 - 4770
[    23.370] (--) synaptics: SynPS/2 Synaptics TouchPad: pressure range 0 - 255
[    23.370] (--) synaptics: SynPS/2 Synaptics TouchPad: finger width range 0 - 15
[    23.370] (--) synaptics: SynPS/2 Synaptics TouchPad: buttons: left double triple
[    23.370] (--) synaptics: SynPS/2 Synaptics TouchPad: Vendor 0x2 Product 0x7
[    23.370] (**) Option "TapButton1" "1"
[    23.370] (**) Option "TapButton2" "2"
[    23.370] (**) Option "TapButton3" "3"
[    23.370] (--) synaptics: SynPS/2 Synaptics TouchPad: touchpad found
[    23.370] (**) SynPS/2 Synaptics TouchPad: always reports core events

so the device is a clickpad and you apparently have a snippet to configure
tapping. what's missing is the snippet that configures right-click for
clickpads:

# This option enables the bottom right corner to be a right button on
# non-synaptics clickpads.
# This option is only interpreted by clickpads.
Section "InputClass"
        Identifier "Default clickpad buttons"
        MatchDriver "synaptics"
        Option "SoftButtonAreas" "50% 0 82% 0 0 0 0 0"
EndSection

without this, no right/middle click is emulated on the touchpad.

this is something we actually ship with the upstream default config, not
sure why it's missing in your case.

Cheers,
   Peter